Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Big C

You ever hear something and you feel like you are standing outside of your body....like it doesn't apply to you? That is what I felt like when my mom told me she has breast cancer. I have known for a little over a week and I am just now warming up to the idea (if that is possible....and like I have a choice). My sister and I have been to two doctor's appointments with my mom now and she is scheduled to have a lumpectomy on December the 8th. She will then have radiation, but no chemo as she has noninvasive, Stage 0 breast cancer. So in other words, if you are going to have it, this is the one to have. 98% rate of the cancer staying gone, which is great! The doctor she is seeing is fabulous and he really answers anything you ask as honestly as possible. I also like that when he talked to my mom, he would look over and make eye contact with my sister and I. We felt included and part of the decision making process, even though, ultimately, that was up to my mom. She is going to have localized radiation (mammosite), which is better and takes less time than full breast radiation. Soooo, needless to say, prayer for my mom and my family would be greatly appreciated. Cancer is an old family friend, but breast cancer is a new visitor. Now I guess I am up for mammograms starting next year. Updates to come...............

3 comments:

Alyssa said...

Sorry to hear this. Keep me posted. Thankful that it sounds like one that will go away...

Cara said...

Stephanie,
I'll be praying for your mom and your family. I'm so sorry to hear this.

Unknown said...

Praying for all of you. May God give you strength, grace & peace.

Blessings,
Laurie